Seven passengers were killed on the spot and 54 others seriously wounded after the bus they were travelling in from Tabora to Arusha overturned following a front tyre burst.
The accident, which involved Tabora-based bus company NBS, occurred at 9.30am on the outskirts of Igunga township in Tabora Region.
Addressing reporters here, Tabora Regional Police Commander assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Antony Rutta said: “The buss’ front left tyre burst causing it to overturn.”
The commander said, among the deceased are three women, three men and a child, whose gender could not be immediately known.
He named the dead as Zaituni Mziray, Ernesto Iromo, Dickson Nasan and Zainabu Hamud.
ACP Rutta said the names of other three deceased have not been established and that the exercise to identify them was in progress. The injured were admitted at Igunga District Hospital, he added.
He told reporters that the driver of the bus with registration number
T 978 ATM Scania 94 make, Iddi Hussein Nyohi (33), cheated death in the worst accident to have occurred this month and that he has been complaining of severe chest burn.
THE RPC said that conditions of majority of the injured persons were improving as they were receiving treatment.
“No one among those wounded is going for referral treatment, according to the foctors who have been checking their health statuses,” he noted.
The Igunga District medical in-charge, Dr Godfrey Kisilla, said his hospital received 54 injured passengers who were all immediately treated.Out of them, 31 were men and 23 women.
Dr Kisilla said further that five passengers were reported dead on the spot while others died immediately after they arrived in the hospital. NBS Classic Bus director Mohamed Nassoro Hamdan, said it was the worst ever accident his company had experienced over 30 years of its operation between Tabora and Arusha.
Recently the Controller and Auditor General (CAG) releasing the first performance audit report on the management of traffic inspections said the factors that contributed to road carnage are yet to be addressed.
Ludovick Utouh addressing reporters in Dodoma after tabling the report in the National Assembly said radical reforms are required to improve the management of traffic inspections and speed limits efficiency in the country.
Between 2000 and 2008, he said, the number of road accidents increased by 42 percent, from approximately 14,500 to 20,600. The number of injuries went up by 27 percent and the number of people killed increased by 67 percent under the review period.
Traffic police, he said, have been concentrating on other factors which contribute only 25 percent of the accidents, forgetting human factors which are responsible for 75 percent of the incidents, he said.
“According to the Traffic Police statistics, human factors caused 75 percent of the road crashes in 2008, while other factors such as mechanical and road conditions contributed the remaining 25 percent,” the CAG said.
According to the report, traffic inspections have not focused on the key risk factors and there were no efforts to allocate adequate time and staff, enforcement tools in order to make inspections focus on human factors like speeding and drunken driving, he said.
The CAG said further that the desired deterrent effects of the applied sanctions were not accomplished making drivers repeat offences committed earlier.