Failure by the government to give special attention to the victims of last year’s Gongo la Mboto bomb blasts who have been demanding compensation for their destroyed properties as promised by the government, has left many victims at the crossroads.
Most victims wonder why the government does not expedite the payment as earlier promised and instead the process seems to go slowly despite several reminders.
Their anxiety grew after Dar es Salaam Regional Commissioner Said Meck Sadiki recently announced that compensation for the Mbagala bomb blast victims, who suffered a similar fate in 2009, would be made soon.
The announcement invited Mbagala bomb victims whose property had been valued to collect their cheques.
This paper has established that, following the compensation payments to the Mbagala victims, Gongo la Mboto victims have been galvanized into action to demand for theirs and subsequently sent a letter to the regional authorities.
In their letter, which was sent three weeks ago, they sought clarification on their payments fate. They further complain that they have been unfairly treated because the pledge to pay them has gone unfulfilled three years down the road
They have also stated that some houses have been deleted from the earlier list and yet the houses require major repairs or to be rebuilt. They also wonder why the decision was reached without consulting the stakeholders.
The houses belong to three victims who have been listed in their letter as Esther Tarimo, Mohammed Said and Zaituni Chogelo.
In their letter, the victims have also inquired about the fate of their plots on which their former houses stood, claiming that they had been ordered not to develop them. They have also lodged compensation for some of their immovable property such as water wells which some had already built.
Apart from their demands, they have also complained about poor cooperation accorded to them by the authorities when contacted for clarification. When contacted for comment, Ukonga constituency MP Eugene Mwaiposa said in a telephone interview that the government was working on the matter, adding that funds for the purpose has been set aside in this financial year’s budget.
She dismissed claims that she was not making proper follow-up on the problems facing the people she represents, including ignoring them when reached for assistance.
The RC said in a telephone interview early this week that the disaster management department in the Prime Minister’s office, which coordinates such payments, was waiting for the budget approval by Parliament. The annual budget for the Prime Minister’s Office was approved by the National Assembly on June 29, 2012.
However, the RC said those whose houses were completely destroyed would have new ones built for them, adding that their construction was in an advanced stage at Msongola village in Ilala district.