Mbeya Urban Member of Parliament (MP) Joseph Mbilinyi (Chadema) has called upon the Home Affairs Ministry to form an independent team to probe into petty traders’ saga in Mbeya Region on November 4 last year.
The MP stressed that there was a need to carry out a thorough investigation and compensate the victims to avoid a similar issue to occur in the future.
The MP said this recently, when he visited one of the victims of the November fracas, Moses Mwakalukwa, who was undergoing treatment at a hospital after being shot by the police during last year’s saga.
Mbilinyi said some of the residents were discontented with property destruction during the incident, calling on the government to investigate the matter and take legal action against those, who caused it.
“The government thinks the matter has been resolved, when they see people running their daily lives peacefully here but it is not. Justice has to be done,” complained Mbilinyi.
The MP, who donated 250,000/- to the patient, said the police must ensure the culprits were held accountable.
The MP added to the Chadema youth contribution to support Mwakalukwa’s treatment at the hospital.
For his part, Mwakalukwa thanked the Chadema youth and the MP for the support and said the money would help him get treatment at Peramiho Hospital in Ruvuma Region.
He said after being shot, he was admitted to Mbeya Regional Hospital, where he was visited by Mbeya regional commissioner Abbas Kandoro, who promised the government would pay for his treatment.
He, however, said despite the promise by the RC, nothing had been fulfilled.
“My family has been supporting me, when I don’t have money,” he noted.
When reached for comment, Regional Commissioner Kandoro refuted claims that he had ever promised Mwakalukwa any support.
“I was still new when the incident happened. I don’t remember if I made such a promise,” said Kandoro, adding that he had a routine of visiting patients in hospitals.