Friday Jul 25, 2014
| Text Size
[-]
[+]
Search IPPmedia

Drugs worth 83m/- allocated to 'ghost' dispensaries

23rd May 2012
Print
Comments

Drugs, worth 83m/-, were allocated by the government to eight 'ghost' dispensaries in Kilwa district, Lindi region between 2007 and 2010, thanks to cheats by council’s unscrupulous civil servants.

Revealing the scandal before Kilwa District Full Council held at Kilwa Masoko recently, the District Council Executive Director, Adoh Mapunda, reported that unfaithful civil servants created eight ghost dispensaries.

He said six of the dispensaries were reportedly granted registration even before construction and two were non existent at all.

He told the councillors that the central government allocated 7.3m/- for each dispensary and the Medical Stores Department (MSD) supplied drugs. Mapunda stated that the scandal had been discovered by the council’s Internal Auditor after working on his instructions.

“Following an investigation at 51 health stations by the Internal Auditor, it was discovered that the ‘ghost’ dispensaries had already been allocated drugs. They include Mitole, Hoteli Tatu, Kiranjeranje, Kisongo, Mchakama, Nangurukuru, Mikole and Kimbalambala,” he said.

The DED said the Internal Auditor’s report also showed that two out of the eight ‘ghost’ dispensaries listed above were allocated a total of 14.7m/- each for drugs. This brings the total drugs allocated to non existent dispensaries to 83m/-.
Mapunda told the full council that the move by unfaithful civil servants was hazardous to his council because it was allocated extra drugs beyond its demand supply. He said the extra allocation could have been sent to other needy places in the country.

Kilwa District Council has a total of 43 dispensaries, five health centres and two hospitals. 

The full council meeting commended the director’s initiative which uncovered dubious misappropriation of drugs. They called for legal actions against all those behind the dirt game.

Speaking on behalf of other councillors, Lihimalyao councillor Mahadhi Nangoma said the report should be given a befitting treatment and the culprits must be taken to court to answer charges against them.

“This is very embarrassing and is an economic sabotage of highest order. Those implicated in the scam must be dealt with accordingly and there should be no mess on them at all,” he stressed.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN
0 Comments | Be the first to comment