Dar es Salaam regional commissioner Said Meck Sadiki has ordered stone miners at Kunduchi Mtongani, on the outskirts of the city, to stop operating from the area because their mining licences expired two years ago.
Instead he gave them a week's grace period, stressing that this time round he would not extend the period.
According to Sadiki, the stone miners had no right to continue working at the site because their licences had been cancelled by the commissioner for minerals two years ago, so continuing with mining activities in the area was illegal.
Speaking to The Guardian on Monday in the city, Sadiki said some of the miners had filed a case in court, whereby the court had issued an order allowing them to stay at the site but not undertaking an mining activities.
“Before ordered them to quit from the area we consulted our lawyers who advised us to let them stay at the site, but in accordance with the court ruling. They are not allowed to conduct mining activities there,” he noted.
Recently, Bagamoyo road, a strategic link between Dar es Salaam and Bagamoyo, was under threat as stone miners at Kunduchi Mtongani duig tunnels likely to make it cave in.
The damage done to the area by the miners came to light after two people died and two others cheated death after a quarry pit collapsed.
Investigations conducted by The Guardian recently revealed that illegal underground mining activities were going on in earnest despite the government ban.
Richard Rusisye, Mashimo local government chairman, revealed that illegal miners had dug underground tunnels across Bagamoyo road which cause the road cave at any time, putting the lives of road users at great risk.
He said some of the tunnels were 50 metres long and the miners worked and slept inside them without caring that they were endangering their lives.