Friday May 6, 2016
| Text Size
Search IPPmedia
Badilisha Lugha KISWAHILI

Simba hit 5 past Yanga

7th May 2012
Simba striker Felix Sunzu (R) tries to dribble past Yanga`s Ghanaian goalkeeper Yaw Berko during their final leg match of the Mainland premiership at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam yesterday.

Mainland premier soccer league champions Simba handed their archrivals Young Africans a terrible if not incredible five-goal comprehensive demolition to wind up the season ceremoniously at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam yesterday.

Troubled Yanga had endured a torrid moment throughout the week heading to the derby as misunderstandings compounded the club leadership.

It was a sweet and memorable revenge for the champions who lost by a lone goal during the first leg tie played at the same venue last year.

Despite the heavy defeat, Yanga played brilliantly during the first half to concede just a goal and looked well on course to pull an equaliser.

The match kicked off with Simba’s Ugandan import Emanuel Okwi breaking the jinx to open the floodgates on the very first minute.

Yanga retaliated with aggressive attacks but were denied by profligacy when Simba defenders deployed off side tricks.

The champs proceeded into the dressing rooms with one goal lead as Yanga pondered the best way to come back into the game.

Simba resumed the second half with full steam as they deployed a dazzling display of attaching football much to the amazement of their own fans.

Felix Sunzu scored second goal for Simba nine minutes into the second half after Yanga’s stalwart defender Shadrack Nsajigwa roughed up Okwi who was on his way to score.

Yanga defence lost steam and completely collapsed to deploy a rough game that proved costly.

Okwi was Simba’s most outstanding striker and gave Yanga defenders the hardest moment of all the matches the dethroned champions played during the season.

The Ugandan successfully negotiated his way past Nsajigwa to score the third goal for his team midway into the second half to extend leading margin.

Simba goalkeeper Juma Kaseja scored the fourth through a penalty after 22 minutes following a foul against Uhuru Suleiman who was brought down on his way to score.

Barely two minutes were later Simba awarded another penalty after Yanga defender brought down Okwi inside the box.

Simba’s Rwandan midfielder Patrick Mafisango scored the fifth goal to keep Simba fans in frenzy of celebrations on the stands.

Yanga played the most disorganised game during the second half and one would wonder if the team really had prepared for the match against their bitter rivals.

The loss was Yanga’s seventh for the season as the team finished third in the final standings table with 49 points and goal difference of eleven.

Yanga scored 31 for the season and conceded 30 goals.

Yanga’s former Serbian coach Kostadin Papic was on the stands when the dethroned champions were being humbled on the pitch.

Yanga’s heaviest defeat at the hands of Simba in the premiership was during the 1994 when they conceded 4-1 goals at the Uhuru Stadium. Before that Yanga conceded 6-0 goals during the 1977 premierships season at the same venue.

Yanga’s biggest victory against Simba in the league was posted in 1969 as they marched with 5-0 demolition.

Simba: Juma Kaseja, Nassor Masoud, Amir Maftah, Shomary Kapombe, Kelvin Yondan, Patrick Mafisango/ Obadia Mungusa, Uhuru Suleiman, Mwinyi Kazimoto/Jonas Mkude, Felix Sunzu/Edward Christopher, Haruna Moshi and Emmanuel Okwi.

Coach: Milovan Circovic

Yanga: Yaw Berko/Said Mohamed, Shadrack Nsajigwa/Godfrey Taita, Oscar Joshua, Nadir Haroub, Athumani Iddi, Juma Seif, Shamte Ally, Haruna Niyonzima, Davis Mwape/Kenneth Assamoah and Khamis Kiiza.

Coach: Fred Felix Minziro

Referee: Hashim Abdallah.

0 Comments | Be the first to comment


No articles