More than 100 ex- tenants of the houses destroyed by the recent floods in Dar es Salaam and their children were still without shelter yesterday, after vacating the temporary camps on Saturday to make way for classes to resume today.
A survey by The Guardian yesterday, found the ex-tenants, their children and their belongings huddled under a tree outside the Benjamin Mkapa Secondary School, who according to Ezihaka Wema the secretary of the victims’ interim committee numbered 130.
“Only one person left today to stay with relatives. The rest are still here,” he said, adding that most of the victims camped at Benjamin Mkapa do not have close relatives residing in Dar es Salaaam.
“We do not have any means other than depending on well wishers in supporting us since the government has not provided us with anything,” he added.
He said they needed food, clothes and water to enable them to survive comfortably.
On Saturday the government successfully completed the exercise of moving the ex-tenants out and shifting the ex-landlords to the new temporary shelters at Ubungo Maziwa, JKT Mbweni and JKT Mgulani to await the putting up of basic infrastructure at Mabwepande in Kinondoni District, where they are to relocate.
Speaking to the Guardian yesterday the victims (ex-tenants) at Benjamin Mkapa Secondary school and Uhuru Mchanganyiko Primary school again appealed to the government, activists, and individuals to help them and their children secure shelter.
“I have three dependants, one of them Latifa Idd (18) suffers from physical disability; she can’t walk, her entire life is confined to a wheel-chair and sleeping only. I’m begging anybody who will be touched by our predicament to help us. I am ready to be hired for domestic work in order to earn money.” said Salma Ally.
According to Ally, they have no food and can’t afford to buy anything, even to pay 200/- per toilet service.
There were reports that after being thrown out of the old temporary shelters, the victim’s representatives approached CCM offices - Ilala District and Chadema headquarters offices for help, but did not yield any tangible result.
For his part, the Chairman of interim victims committee Musa Magambo said among the victims are schoolchildren who are supposed to start classes today, while others were to have been enrolled into Standard One and nursery schools.
“We are staying in unsafe environment. In this situation we can’t provide education to our children, since we lost everything in the tragedy…I wish I could take my children to school on time but now it’s just a nightmare since we’ve no help from any where” he noted.
Meanwhile, Ilala Municipal Director Gabriel Fuime told this paper that all children of ex-landlords staying at the new temporary camp of Ubungo Maziwa who were supposed to be at school today, will attend the nearest schools with only exercise books, while other learning materials are looked for after they shift to Mabwepande.
“We’ve talked to the education officers and asked them to allow the children to start classes with what they have, while waiting for completion of Mabwepande camp because we can’t provide them now…by doing so we’ll ensure they do not roam in the nearby streets,” he said.
Ex-tenant Jackson Fabian said although the government had promised to help their school children still there is no any signs of fulfilling the promise. “How will they attend school without uniforms and other school materials? Let’s wait and see; maybe tomorrow we’ll know the truth” he insisted.
More than 40 people died and over 5000 others rendered homeless due to floods which occurred last month in Dar es Salaam.