Monday Sep 1, 2014
| Text Size
[-]
[+]
Search IPPmedia

ZFA to quiz Z’bar Heroes duo

14th December 2012
Print
Tanzania Football Federation’s information officer, Boniface Wambura

The Zanzibar Football Association (ZFA) has made a U-turn in the controversy surrounding the indefinite ban imposed on Zanzibar Heroes’ players who are accused of misconduct during the just ended Senior Challenge Cup in Kampala.

According to the Tanzania Football Federation’s information officer, Boniface Wambura, two players of the Zanzibar team would miss today’s training session and travel all the way to Zanzibar for questioning.

The players are skipper Aggrey Morris and his stand-in Nadir Haroub who are accused to mastermind the sharing of the CECAFA prize money to the tune of $10,000 to all players of the team who featured in the tourney in Kampala.

ZFA had earlier imposed an indefinite ban on the entire team as a result of what it called a ‘gross misconduct’ for by-passing the team’s officials and distribute equally the prize package among themselves.

Heroes were awarded the $10,000 as a result of finishing third in the championship having beaten Mainland Tanzania by 6-5 on penalties in the classificantion match last Saturday in Kampala.

Both teams were knocked out of the tourney at the semifinal stages and ended the regulation time tied 1-1.

While ZFA had imposed the ban, all the six players had reported at the TFF hostel in Dar es Salaam for training with the rest of the Taifa Stars team members called for the week-long camping.

ZFA looks to have erred in rushing to ban the players without giving them an opportunity to listening their views.

Wambura said the duo would leave this morning to Zanzibar as the rest of the players are attending the training under coach Kim Poulsen.

Meanwhile, two players who have been called by coach Poulsen to camp in Dar have been ruled out due to injuries.

Wambura said defender Said Nassoro, who is a Zanzibari, and striker John Bocco are not attending the training and might need medication to improve their fitness.

In related development, goalkeeper Mwadini Ali, who is also included in the ZFA blanket ban, has been released by TFF to join his Azam colleagues who travel to the Democratic Republic of Congo for a sporting tour.

In replacement of Mwadini, goalkeeper Deogratius Munishi, who featured for Azam during the previous premiership season, has been recalled to fill his gap.

Otherwise, the camp is going on well with all the players attending the training session.

Taifa Stars are gearing up for a friendly international against visiting Zambia in a match to be played at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam on December 22.

The African champions Zambia will play the match as a build-up ahead of next month’s Nations Cup championship to be played in South Africa for the second time since 1996.

This will be Zambia’s second visit in Dar es Salaam in three years since taking part as invitees in the 2010 Senior Challenge Cup championship won by the Mainland team.

The Zambians won the opening encounter against Mainland Tanzania but were knocked out at the quarterfinal stages. 

 

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN