Sunday Apr 20, 2014
| Text Size
[-]
[+]
Search IPPmedia

Upcountry buses to use Ubungo terminal for now

3rd January 2013
Print
Dar es salaam city mayor, Didas Massaburi

The government has said that all upcountry bound buses will continue using the Ubungo Bus Terminal in Dar es Salaam until the new bus terminal at Mbezi Luis is completed.

But it has insisted that the January 15 deadline for traders to vacate the former terminal still stands.

Speaking to The Guardian in a telephone interview, city mayor Didas Massaburi, said traders at the terminal who have already been compensated should vacate the area by mid this month before they are evicted by the authority.

Massaburi said no area has been earmarked for them to conduct their businesses, adding that they will instead be required to look for alternative places since they have already received their money.

“The number of traders is very big, but one good thing is that the government has paid compensation to enable them look for alternative areas where they could carry out their businesses in accordance with the law,” Massaburi said.

He however emphasised that traders would only be allowed in the business premises that will be constructed at the new bus stations, after applying for new licenses.

The new bus station at Mbezi Luis will not be the temporary as planned before, but a permanent one, as ordered by President Jakaya Kikwete recently, he said.

It is earmarked to serve the Lake regions while other terminals for upcountry buses will be built at Boko area to accommodate buses from Arusha, Tanga, Kilimanjaro and Manyara, Masaburi said.

Another terminal will be built at Kongowe in Mbagala area to be used by buses from Mtwara, Lindi and other southern regions.
He acknowledged that the move will cause the government to lose revenue, but said, there is no way to avoid the loss while the project is implemented.

Last month Mayor Masaburi ordered traders at Ubungo upcountry Bus Terminal who were compensated to leave the area by January 15 this year and pave the way for construction of the bus terminal for the city Rapid Transit Project in the area.

According to the mayor the traders were compensated in October last year, but have defied the order and continued to do businesses in the area.

He said the city authorities would demolish the kiosks of traders who will have defied the order, because the project's financier, the World Bank, would like to see the project take off on time.
According to him, at least 2.7bn/- has been paid as compensation to 120 traders who were given a grace period of 60 days to 30 December last year to leave the area.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN