Tuesday May 3, 2016
| Text Size
Search IPPmedia
Badilisha Lugha KISWAHILI

Situation in Arusha normalising ,MPs released

20th June 2013
  Number of dead increases to four
Head of Police Operations,Paul Chagonja

Four Chadema lawmakers who were on Tuesday held by police for interrogation were yesterday released after they bailed themselves.

In another development, the number of people who have died as a result of the Saturday bomb blast at the party’s organised rally has reached four.

Head of Police Operations Paul Chagonja told The Guardian through a telephone interview that the MPs, Tundu Lissu (Singida East), Mustapha Akunay (Mbulu), Joyce Mukya (Special Seats) and Said Arfi (Mpanda Urban) bailed themselves, adding that police however continues to collect evidence on the bomb blast incident.
Acting director of Selian Hospital Dr Paul Kisanga said that Fahad Jamal (7) who was among those injured and admitted to the facility died yesterday.
Others who died during the day of the incident were Ramadhani Juma (15), Sokoni One ward Chadema secretary general Judith Moshi (25) and Amiri Ally (9).
Dr Kisanga said until yesterday there was only one patient at the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit known as Gabriel Lucas, who is the secretary of Arusha Urban lawmaker Godbless Lema.
There were also other patients in the hospital who he said were doing well.
Arumeru East legislator Joshua Nassari was discharged from the hospital where he was admitted.
Meanwhile, a doctor from Mount Meru Regional Hospital said at least 30 injured people were treated and discharged.
Rombo MP Joseph Selasini and Bavicha’s vice chairperson Suzan Lyimo blamed the police for holding Mukya for more than 24 hours while she has a two-month old was lactating the baby.
Ubungo MP John Mnyika said the late Judith Moshi will be buried in Arusha Region instead of Kilimanjaro as mentioned before.
Only few days after the bomb blast at a political party rally in Arusha, this paper reported that chaos erupted again on Tuesday when police used tear gas canisters to disperse thousands of Chadema leaders and followers who had gathered at Soweto grounds.
Reports said that the police were trying to disperse the crowd which was preparing to match to Mount Meru Hospital to bid farewell to those who died in the Saturday bomb blast.
In the course of doing so, it was then that they arrested the four lawmakers and 75 other people for interrogation during the mayhem.
According to the police, the Tuesday chaos erupted after Chadema leaders defied a police order to disperse from Soweto grounds after the owner, AICC restricted the areas from being used for any activity.
Police report said after having informed the crowd that the assembly was illegal, a misunderstanding between them and the party members erupted whereby the former were forced to use tear gas canisters after Chadema bouncers started attacking them with stones.
Speaking on the incident, Prime Minister Mizengo Pinda said that the government had discovered that the bomb which was lobbed into a gathering at Soweto grounds on Saturday was made in China and it was a military bomb.
Pinda revealed this at Selian Hospital in Arusha where he directed the Arusha Regional Commissioner Magesa Mulongo to ensure that all the bodies were taken to their respective homelands for burial.
“Such a bomb is used by military forces, we are yet to establish the reasons behind the throwing of the bomb because we are also at the border,” Pinda said.
Speaking of the elections, he said the government has been forced to suspend the exercise up to June 30, this year and assured that it will be held under tight security.


No articles