Buses must be disinfected - DC

30Mar 2020
The Guardian Reporter
Dodoma
The Guardian
Buses must be disinfected - DC

OPERATORS of commuter and upcountry buses in Dodoma must disinfect their vehicles or risk revocation of their licences, the government has warned.

They must also have hand sanitizers to be used by all passengers before embarking, whether for long distance journeys upcountry or commuting within the capital, District Commissioner Patrobas Katambi has directed.

DC Katambi told this paper at the weekend that the decision has been made as a containment measure in the wake of several cases of coronavirus being confirmed in Dar es Salaam, and others in Arusha, Kagera and Zanzibar.

All commercial spots such as markets, bars and shops must have hand washing facilities during this period of taking measures against spreading the virus.

“We have decided to make hand washing habit permanent to fight other infectious diseases such as cholera,” he stated.

Tanzania now has 14 cases after Ministry of Health in Zanzibar on Saturday announced the confirmation of a third case in the Isles. Other regions with confirmed cases are Dar es Salaam (8), Arusha (2) and Kagera (1). There has been no fatality in the country and patient zero has recovered.

As of yesterday, global confirmed cases surpassed 680,000 with over 31,000 deaths and over 140,000 recoveries, on the basis of an update by the Johns Hopkins University which monitors the disease.

Spain recorded another 838 deaths in 24 hours - the highest daily rise in fatalities so far. This brought the number of deaths in the country to 6,528. A leading adviser to the UK government, Neil Ferguson, warned the country's lockdown will need to be in place "probably until the end of May, maybe even early June."

US President Donald Trump backed away from the idea of quarantining New York after the state's governor Andrew Cuomo said the idea was "preposterous."

South Korea said all overseas arrivals will have to go into mandatory quarantine for 14 days as of 1 April.

Iran announced 123 more coronavirus deaths, raising the total number to 2,640. The number of infected people has reached 38,309, officials said. It is one among countries worst hit by Covid-19.

Saudi Arabia shut down entry and exit into the Jeddah governorate and brought forward a curfew there to begin at 15:00 local time (12:00 GMT) rather than 19:00, the state news agency has said.

The kingdom applied the same measures to Riyadh, Mecca and Medina last week. The kingdom has the second highest rate of infections in the Gulf after Iran.

India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked Indians for forgiveness after imposing a lockdown.

Amid criticism over the lack of planning ahead of the shutdown which was introduced with less than four hours' notice, Modi apologised for the impact in his weekly radio address.

"Possibly many would be angry at me for being locked in their homes. I understand your troubles but there was no other way to wage war against the coronavirus. For a country like India with a population of 1.3 billion it is a battle of life and death and we have to win it."

Top Stories