Fundraising pair cook fish and chips on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro

03Dec 2018
The Guardian Reporter
The Guardian
Fundraising pair cook fish and chips on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro

TWO award winning chip shop owners from Northern Ireland have raised £27,000 for charity after cooking fish suppers at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro.


Alan Hanna, owner of Pitstop Fast Food in Kilkeel, and Malachy Mallon, owner of the Dolphin in Armagh and Dungannon, travelled to Tanzania to climb the 20,000ft volcano with a goal in mind.

In a bid to give back to their own communities as well as those in need in Tanzania, the chippie owners took their business to the peak of the world's highest free-standing mountain.

They raised £20,000 for The Fishermen's Mission, a charity that delivers welfare support to fishermen and their families.

The charity works alongside rescue teams and provide emergency response for survivors of fishing accidents and to families of those lost or killed at sea.

Mallon said: "We wanted to raise more money for the Fishermen's Mission and we needed a big challenge to gain sponsorship.

"So at the top of the world, we did what we do best, cooked fish and chips.

"We had trained well for the climb and the cooking was great fun, and of course it was an amazing adventure. But it's important to remember the real difference we can all make in the lives of those who face daily struggles.

"That mixture of cheering each other on and accepting the temporary discomfort, meant we could overcome eight days of climbing, because it was helping so many other people who have to overcome adversity every day."

During their trip, Hanna and Mr Mallon presented £5,000 to Fortune Kids and Education Foundation Orphanage in Tanzania. A further £2,000 was donated to the orphanage on behalf of a local business man.

The donation provided food, mattresses, access to running water and a year's rent for the orphanage. It also helped pay for health insurance for the children and wages for the staff.

Hanna and Mallon received support from a number of food companies for their trip.

Hanna said: "We had brought some of the food with us. We got potatoes at a local market and despite no running water and only a two ring gas stove, we practiced our pop-up cooking skills for the staff and children.

"The sausages, fish and chips were devoured."

The duo set off at 11.45pm for the final climb to the summit, along with a small group of climbers.

Hanna added: “Each stage was breathtaking. The nights were extremely cold and lack of sleep added to the worry of low oxygen levels and altitude sickness.

"One of the group had to pull out, just an hour from the summit. Knowing people had been donating and knowing how much the Fishermen’s Mission needed the support, kept us focused.”