Govt eyes vibrant education system

07Dec 2021
Polycarp Machira
The Guardian
Govt eyes vibrant education system

​​​​​​​PRIME Minister Kassim Majaliwa has reiterated the government’s commitment for vibrant education system aimed at providing graduates with skills that stimulate innovations and vocational skills for them to prosper.

​​​​​​​PRIME Minister Kassim Majaliwa.

He said the current review of education curriculum will focus on vocational skills to spur innovation, something that will help learners to realise their goals.

Majaliwa made the remarks at the weekend when officiating at the 75th anniversary of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) under the theme “Reimagine the Future for Every child”.

He said the government has decided to review the education curriculum so that it suits the current system of molding graduates so that they acquire sufficient skills for initiating activities or projects instead of waiting to be employed.

“We are collecting stakeholders’ views to be incorporated in our envisaged new curriculum which, among others, students who complete secondary education can easily initiate projects basing on skills acquired,” he insisted.

The Premier said gone are the days when graduates strived for white collar jobs, saying it is high time they ventured into vocational, technology and innovation opportunities as the government set in place the needed infrastructures for the undertakings.

He said that the government wants to move away from the current trend whereby students are imparted with historical or other stuff which after graduating, they cannot use the knowledge for self-employment.

Majaliwa hinted that the reviewed curriculum   will comprise 60 per cent of practical learning, with theory taking the remaining 40 per cent in order to promote employment and economic development.

He added that the government decided to construct and furnish with modern training equipment the vocational education training centres built in every district, starting with 28 listed in this financial year's budget.

“Children must be monitored to identify their talents at the very initial stages, parents must assist them while in schools where they can be well shaped for prosperity,” Premier Majaliwa said.

On re-admission of school dropouts in the formal education system, Majaliwa said the government is working on guidelines that will also give opportunity to other children who missed schools due to other various factors.

Among the factors for school dropout have been outlined as truancy, school pregnancy, poverty and failing in standard seven national examinations.

 He said the goal of making the decision is to provide a wider chance for Tanzanian children to continue with their education, noting that the issue is focused on granting opportunities for them to decide.

“For those who cannot return to primary schools, an alternative education system has been established for them to acquire skills which can help them and their children... this should not worry us to the extent of holding discussions on why teen mothers should go back to school.”

He expressed government commitment to work closely with UNICEF to set up conducive learning and teaching environment for students so that they attain their goals and fulfill their dreams.

For her part, UNICEF representative in the country, Shalini Bahuguna commended the government for the free education policy which has given a chance for the children from the poor households to attain secondary education.

“You have put the right to education policy into practice with the free education as it gives opportunity to all regardless of the family background” she insisted.

She said the government has done well in handling stunting and the forefront in vaccination progress.

Top Stories