High Court lifts ban on ‘MwanaHalisi’ weekly

31Jul 2018
The Guardian Reporter
The Guardian
High Court lifts ban on ‘MwanaHalisi’ weekly

The Kiswahili weekly newspaper Mwanahalisi is set to resume publication next week following the High Court’s lifting of a two-year ban imposed against it by the government in September last year.

director of the paper’s publishing company Halihalisi, Saed Kubenea.

Mwanahalisi was ordered to suspend publication and circulation for a period of 24 months on grounds of what the government considered repeated unethical reporting, the publishing of fabricated and inciting articles, and endangering of national security.

But the director of the paper’s publishing company Halihalisi, Saed Kubenea, has confirmed that the ban was quashed on Tuesday last week by the High Court, Dar es Salaam zone, paving the way for publication to resume.

Addressing a news conference in Dar es Salaam yesterday, Kubenea said the court also ruled that the newspaper should be re-registered but allowed to continue operating as per law.

In its July 24 ruling, the High Court said the ban imposed by the then deputy minister for Information, Culture, Arts and Sports, Anastazia Wambura, was against the law.

Said Kubenea: “We are happy to have won this case... the ruling has shown that we never broke any media law. It is therefore my appeal to members of the public that we should not lose our trust in the courts as they give justice to everyone.”

He, however, added that the HaliHalisi publishing company incurred a loss of 2.2 billion/- in pursuing the case, and therefore now plans to return to court to sue ex-deputy minister Wambura for damages.

“As the government’s Information Service (MAELEZO) department has failed to inform the public about this court ruling in our favour, we have decided to do it ourselves... publication of MwanaHalisi will resume from Wednesday next week,” Kubenea said.

Top Stories