Kidney transplant patient, donor discharged

02Dec 2017
James Kandoya
The Guardian
Kidney transplant patient, donor discharged

A 30 year old woman who received a kidney transplant ten days ago at the Muhimbili National Hospital was yesterday discharged after intensive care admission for ten days.

Speaking to reporters, Priscal Mwingira disclosed that she was suffering from end-stage kidney failure and was on haemodialysis for over a year.

ìI would like to thank my brother, Bartholomeo, aged 27 years  who donated his kidney to save my  life,î she said while weeping.Priscal, a teacher, said that kidney failure was a disease like any other hence people should not be fearful while also thanking the hospital management for their hospitality and for saving her life.

She called on well wishers to think of donating kidneys to save the lives of others, similarly urging the government to pump in more funds to MNH for more kidney surgeries.

The kidney donor Bartholomeo, expressed the feeling that life will be back to normal on his part after six months as instructed by the doctors after the transplant operation.

MNH Senior Public Relations Officer, Aminiel Algaesha said doctors were satisfied with the women's health since the transplant was conducted on November 21.

For many years, Tanzanians suffering from kidney failure had to be referred abroad, especially to India for the procedure costing over Sh100m per patient, whereasthe cost at Muhimbili is placed at Sh21m.

A local team of surgeons collaborated with foreign experts for the successful kidney transplant, the first such transplant to take place in the country.

A nephrologist at MNH, Dr Jacqueline Shoo said the kidney transplanted patient was in a normal health situation as any other person.After ten days under intensive care, she was discharged to continue being cared for at home.

ìItís not an easy task to take care of a kidney transplant patient. ìBoth donor and recipient were recuperating well and should return to normal activity soon enough," the medic said, noting that the care and supervision conducted on the two patients showed signs of their rapid recovery.

Top Stories