Deputy Home Affairs Minister, Hamad Yusuf Masauni told the House in Dodoma that the Premier formed the committee aiming at enabling the government to know if relevant public authorities played their part after the accident which killed more than 100 people and wounded scores.
He said the aim of the special probe team was to come up with suggestions of measures to be taken to control similar incidences in future.
Masauni gave the explanations in response to a supplementary question by Special Seats MP, Devotha Minja (Chadema) who asked why was the government contemplating to announce the outcomes of the probe committee.
Minja said that at the burial of some of the victims, Majaliwa who represented President John Magufuli formed a special probe committee to investigate into a fuel tanker explosion, but the report has never been made public.
She also wanted to know when the government will release the report to the public claiming the fire and rescue force took long to arrive at the scene despite the fact that explosion occurred at the Msamvu area, some few kilometers their offices.
Masauni said: “The Prime Minister’s Office has its own arrangement of releasing such reports. I am sure the report will be made public at an appropriate time”.
On August 10th 2019, a fuel tanker exploded in Morogoro region killing more than 100 and several other wounded. Many of those killed and injured had been siphoning petrol from the vehicle when it burst into flames.
The tanker registered T.717 DDF with a trailer 645 CAN Toyota Scania overturned on August 10, 2019 at Msamvu, in Morogoro. The vehicle was heading to Iringa from Dar es Salaam.
A similar tragedy occurred in Mbeya in 2000 when a number of villagers were burned in explosion of oil tanker. At least 33 were killed during the incident that happened at Isongole village after a fuel tanker explored.