Ruvu Shooting hold Coastal Union to draw                 

08Feb 2019
The Guardian Reporter
The Guardian
Ruvu Shooting hold Coastal Union to draw                 

RUVU Shooting settled for a 1-1 draw with Coastal Union in the 2018/19 Mainland Premier League match, which was held at the latter's venue Mkwakwani Stadium in Tanga yesterday.

Ruvu Shooting players in a group picture prior to taking part in a past Mainland Premier League match. PHOTO: COURTESY OF MAHMOUD ZUBEIRY

The visitors got two good chances during the early stages of the game, only to see midfielder Shaaban Msala waste both chances.

Msala had earlier seen his header off a cross from the left flank fly over and the player, thereafter, unleashed a shot which went off target after he had been set up by a team mate.

The visitors' defenders also did a good job to keep the hosts' forward Abuu Lyanga at bay, after the striker had been released by team mate and sped into the area.

Coastal Union went close on the 21st minute in which Lyanga was released by team mate a few meters from Ruvu Shooting's area, a shot by the former, though, went across the face of the goal.

Coastal Union wasted a good chance on the 30th minute as left fullback Adeyun Saleh blasted a free kick, taken from outside Ruvu Shooting's area, over.

The hosts won another free kick outside the visitors’ area on the 35th minute, only to see the latter's defenders easily clear an effort by midfielder Athumani Iddi.

Ruvu Shooting recorded an opener two minutes later as midfielder William Patrick raced to a rebound within Coastal Union area and beat goalkeeper Hussein Shariff with a right foot effort.

Ruvu Shooting could have netted the second goal a minute before half time, in which striker Mussa Said was released by Msala a few meters from Coastal Union area, a low effort by the striker was, though, saved by Shariff.

The hosts wasted a glorious opportunity on the stroke of half time, in which Lyanga lifted the ball into the visitors' area, only to see fellow striker opt to pass the ball to a team mate that wasted the chance.

The opening stanza came to an end with Ruvu Shooting leading by the lone goal.

Coastal Union levelled matters on the 64th minute, in which forward Raizim Hafidh beat Ruvu Shooting keeper, Abdallah Rashid, with a low right foot shot from within the latter's area.

Shariff came to Coastal Union's rescue later on, foiling an attempt by a Ruvu Shooting player within the former's area.

Ruvu Shooting defense had to stay alert for the remainder of the game, given Coastal Union pressed forward on several ocassions in search of more goals.

Ruvu Shooting went into the match with good memories of a 1-0 victory over Mbeya City FC in a game that was held at the former's venue, Mabatini ground, early this week.

Coastal Union recorded a 1-1 draw with league leaders Yanga in the previous match, which was played at the Mkwakwani Stadium.

Coastal Union were prior to the match been placed ninth in the league table having played 22 matches and recorded 29 points.


Top Stories