Simba close in on trophy

20May 2019
The Guardian Reporter
The Guardian
Simba close in on trophy

SIMBA have inched closer to winning the trophy in the 2018/ Main Premier League, cruising to a 2-0 victory over Ndanda FC at the Uhuru Stadium in Dar es Salaam yesterday.

Ndanda FC defenders looked a bit disorganized during the first few minutes of the match, with fullback Aziz Sibo, in particular, losing possession on several occasions to put the defense in trouble.


Simba’s marksman Meddie Kagere broke the deadlock on the fifth minute, beating Ndanda keeper, Diey Makonga, with a rasping shot from within the box.


The hosts had a good chance early on when visitors’ keeper Makonga went for a good save to frustrate the former’s forward John Bocco that had gone for a header in an effort to connect in a center from the right.


Kagere netted the second for the hosts on the 11th minute after he was released outside the box and lobbed the ball over Makonga, who watched helplessly as the ball sailed into the net.


The visitors won two free kicks later in the opening stanza, which however wasted by skipper Kigi Makasi.


Simba keeper Aishi Manula was rarely troubled given Ndanda FC made few forays into the former’s penalty box.


The visitors nevertheless grew in confidence thereafter, as they put the opponents under pressure only to be let down by inept finishing.


Midfielder Hassan Dilunga shot over from close range on the 45th minute as Simba went in pursuit of a third.


Ndanda trailed Simba by the two goals at the end of the first period.


The introduction of speedy forward Yusuf Mhilu on the 63rd minute breathed life into the visitors’ striking force that had overall not been quite effective.


The striker made several dangerous runs and created opportunities for teammates, forcing Simba defenders into zealous defending.


He had replaced Mohamed Mkopi that had proved ineffective in the opening stanza, failing to properly link up with fellow striker Vitalis Mayanga.


Simba kept on putting the opponents’ defense under pressure in the latter stages of the stanza in search of goals, with Makonga making several good saves to frustrate the former.


Kagere came close to netting a hat trick with 10 minutes left, as his header from Zana Coulibaly’s cross went off target.


It was an end-to-end affair in the remaining minutes with both squads making forays into each other’s box and forcing defenders to stay alert.


Simba need victory in the next game, which will see the squad confront Singida United in Singida tomorrow, to emerge as champions.