Stand United end Yanga unbeaten spell

20Jan 2019
The Guardian Reporter
Guardian On Sunday
Stand United end Yanga unbeaten spell

STAND United have brought Yanga's unbeaten spell in the 2018/19 Mainland Premier League to an end with a 1-0 win over the city giants at the Kambarage Stadium, in Shinyanga yesterday.

Stand United's players celebrate with a section of their fans after the squad had registered a win in a recent match in the Mainland Premier League.

Midfielder Jacob Massawe notched the goal that separated the two teams deep in the second half to help Stand United prevent Yanga from recording two wins over the tough regional side this season.

Yanga had cruised to a 4-3 win over Stand United in the league's first phase match at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam.

Yanga, however, could have come out with a win in yesterday’s match if they had good use of several good chances that went their way in either half.

The visitors made known their desire to notch an early opener, as right fullback Paul Godfrey tested goalie Mohamed Makaka with a long range effort on the fourth minute. The Shinyanga sentry calmly stopped the ball.

Yanga went close on the 13th minute in which skipper Ibrahim Ajibu got the better of two Stand United defenders on the edge of the area and floated in a cross, only to see others squander that opportunity.

The hosts had a good opportunity on the 20th minute in which right fullback Mhando Washia whipped in a dangerous cross from outside the visitors' area. Midfielder Massawe, though failed to control the ball and was dispossessed.

Stand United came close top registering an opener on the 27th minute as a good cross from the left was met by forward William Kimanzi within the goal area. His attempt was blocked by Yanga fullback Gadiel Michael for an abortive corner kick.

Yanga had earlier squandered a good opportunity as Ajibu got the better of two Stand United defenders and sped into the area, but his low shot was blocked by a defender.

A long range effort by the hosts' midfielder Hafidh Mussa on the 32nd minute flew over as Stand United kept on pressing for a goal.

Stand United wasted a good opportunity close to the breather after striker Sixtus Mwasekaga blasted over from outside the area, after he was released by Massawe.  The opening stanza came to an end with two sides having failed to find each other's back of the net.

Yanga kept on pushing for the opener when a header by forward Amissi Tambwe within the area off a cross by midfielder Mrisho Ngassa went wide, on the 56th minute.

Substitute Heritier Makambo had wasted a good chance for Yanga two minutes earlier, when he was released by Tambwe outside Stand United's area. He could only manage a weak left foot shot which was easily collected by keeper Makaka.

Massawe put Stand United 1-0 up on the 88th minute, beating Yanga keeper Klaus Kindoki by a header off a Mwinyi Elias pin point cross from the right.

Yanga came into the match on the back of an emphatic 3-1 victory over Shinyanga's other club, Mwadui FC, in Dar es Salaam on Tuesday.

Stand United had, in their past match, succumbed to a 1-0 away loss to Biashara United at the Karume Stadium, in Musoma on Wednesday.

Much as they lost yesterday’s game, Yanga are still leading the rest of the pack in the league, as they have played 20 matches and collected 53 points.