Yanga edge KMC FC

11Mar 2019
By Guardian Reporter
Dar es Salaam
The Guardian
Yanga edge KMC FC

MAINLAND Premier League leaders, Yanga, have maintained their winning ways in the league with a 2-1 win over Kinondoni Municipal Council (KMC) FC in an entertaining match, which took place at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam yesterday.

Yanga midfielder, Deus Kaseke (R), challenges KMC FC defender, Aron Lulambo, during the 2018/19 Mainland Premier League duel, which was played in Dar es Salaam last year.

Yanga, for that matter, are still enjoying the driver’s seat in the league having taken part in 28 matches, winning 22, recording draw in four and losing two to collect 70 points.

KMC FC still clings on to the fourth position in the league’s log, having played 30 matches, recorded nine wins, managing draw in 15 matches and suffering loss in six matches to register 42 points.

KMC FC defense was the busier during the early stages of the match, given Yanga pushed forward now and then in search of an early opener.

KMC FC’s muscular forward, Charles Ilamfya, looked to be a threat to Yanga defenders shortly thereafter and the latter had to be alert to keep the former in check.

Central defender, Kelvin Yondani, forced a good save from KMC FC goalkeeper, Jonathan Nahimana, on the 13th minute with a long range shot, which was saved by the former as Yanga went in pursuit of an opener.

The league leaders had also wasted an opportunity two minutes earlier in which a good cross from the right was met by forward, Heritier Makambo, within KMC FC area and he set up midfielder, Papy Tshishimbi, with a header, the midfielder however disappointingly failed to react on time and a KMC FC defender cleared.

Striker, Mohamed Rashid, put KMC FC 1-0 up on the 17th minute, in which he beat Yanga keeper, Klaus Kindoki, with a low shot from within the area.

A free kick by midfielder, Thaban Kamusoko, came of KMC FC left post on the 23rd minute as Yanga came close to pulling an equalizer.

KMC FC came close to recording the second goal on the 26th minute as forward, Hassan Kabunda, set up Ilamfya within Yanga’s area, the latter’s effort was though blocked by Kamusoko.

Tshishimbi levelled matters for Yanga on the 36th minute as he headed home a good cross by left fullback, Gadiel Michael, from the left side.

The opening 45 minutes eventually came to a close with either team having netted a goal.

Long serving keeper, Juma Kaseja, had to stand between the posts for KMC FC in the second stanza in place of Nahimana given the latter had sustained an injury.

Kabunda could have done better with a chance he got shortly after the restart, when he collected the ball from the left dribbled his way into Yanga’s area, only to end up blasting the ball over.

Rashid fluffed a glorious opportunity on the 62nd minute, when he shot wide from close range after he had received a good pass by second half substitute James Msuva.

An own goal by KMC FC defender Ally Ally on the 66th minute saw Yanga record the second goal. The hard working defender had attempted to clear a center floated in by second half substitute Ibrahim Ajibu, only to direct the ball past Kaseja.

Kindoki came to Yanga’s rescue on the 71st minute, in which he punched an inviting cross whipped in by a KMC FC player from the right side.

Yanga had the bragging rights in the league’s first phase game against KMC FC, in which a last minute strike by midfielder Feisal Salum steered the former to a 1-0 win.